Thursday 1 March 2007

My Dark Materials

A while ago I wrote an article about myself for a national newspaper. I was in the first flush of pride after giving up my job in the City to look after my then eighteen month old daughter, while my wife returned to work. The article was well-received: friends and family congratulated me on my journalistic achievement, a literary agent was keen on a book deal, and somewhere I believe children are even reading about my experiences in a school text book.

Sadly though, interest waned, the book fell through and I'm not sure I rival Philip Pullman in many schoolchildren's affections. So, eighteen months later, with no audience for my ramblings - here's my story. If you're interested in how a stay at home dad, at-home father, house husband - there are a lot of names for it considering how many men seem to do it - operates in a mum's world, read on. And if you're a publisher, film producer or newspaper editor, I'm still available...

5 comments:

Pig in the Kitchen said...

I have a question. Do you ever completely lose the plot at tea/bath/bed time? Then at some point after your baby has gone to bed, do you slump on the floor, cry a bit and drink too much? Or do your male version of the latter? Am genuinely interested, not taking the piss!

Stay at home dad said...

It's a good question. The feeling I have nowadays is more one of chronic low-level anxiety. There was a time when I cracked into a drink at the Numberjacks hour(apart fom that one time when I got through a couple of beers while I was cooking my daughter her lunchtime spaghetti) but it's all a bit less intense now she's three and a half. You?

Pig in the Kitchen said...

Lunchtime drinking is such fun, what a shame i have to drive to do my school run at 3pm. I have four little lovelies 18mo to 7yrs, I don't think it is less intense but I think I'm learning to let go of the red bubble of my control-freakery.... something like that. And the house is a pit. But the kids seem happy. Am v. interested in male views on child-rearing. We've heard from women ad nauseum (with some male-bashing slipped in), it is time for the 'beta males' (i thought that comment was a bit harsh!)to speak up!

Stay at home dad said...

FOUR?! Good grief. That can't be easy. I really do take my hat off to you. Multiple kids must be tough. I would be on a bottle of gin a day.

Yes I don't know what to think about the beta thing. Still, if I'm wondering I'm obviously not an alpha!

jlwooley said...

Wow, I've read a couple of your blogs and Im blown away. You have so much insight and helpfull and relative information. Will follow.