Monday 14 May 2007

Time To Go

It’s the last day of our holiday and it’s still raining. We visit Baggy Point, a rocky outcrop reaching into the roaring wind and surf. Fighting our way through the gale we flex our umbrellas against the whipping rain and come to a bench near the promontory. Surrounded by heather and gorse it looks onto the cliff edge, which is lined with grass and dotted with pink thrift. Beyond, the sea and sky are sandwiched together in different shades of grey. I look at the bench and see a small metal plaque with some lines engraved in it. Leaning close I can just make out the words:

Rest here beloved in your new life
As oft you did with me when in the old
The majesty and power of which you are now part
And I will come and ease my aching heart


Underneath this plaque is another, marking the death of the writer some ten years after his wife. I hope there was someone to comfort him in the years between. I hope he had children and that they visit this spot and sit on the bench in kinder weather, thinking about them both. That’s what I’d like to imagine, anyway.

We turn towards town and I brace myself against the gusting wind, gripping my daughter’s hand tightly.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does rain a lot down here - as you've discovered. Almost as much as in Wales.
I've lived in Cardiff too.
My next home must surely be on the east of the country.

debio said...

I see my mother desperately treading water since the death of my father yet no matter how many life lines are thrown, none quite reach.
This 'love' thing can be a mixed blessing...

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

You really do write beautifully, SAHD.

Suffolkmum said...

Hi, I've just found your blog, thank you for your nice comment on mine. Hey, I used to work in the city too - feels like a diffrent life now. We have friends who moved to north Devon recently and have been there a few times - it is stunning, and that was a stunning blog, I hope all those things for that couple too.

@themill said...

The son took me to Baggy point last week, in similar weather it would appear. Lovely blog

Stay at home dad said...

BM - yes, mind you it rains a lot in London as our leaks attest.

Debio - that's very sad but so often the case. Yet you must give her a lot of pleasure...

M&M - very kind of you to say, and makes my day!

Hello Suffolkmum. Thanks, good to see you here. Yes Devon nice but then Suffolk is too... good to leave all the city stuff behind.

Stay at home dad said...

Thanks @TM. Something inspiring about it, even in those conditions. Or perhaps because of...

Jan said...

A lovely piece, SAHD.
I remember seeing something similar near Cape Cornwall, feeling the same...

Stay at home dad said...

Thank you Jan. Yes, I suppose there must be many, dotted around the country...

Livvy U. said...

Hello, SAHD.. Thought I'd come and repay the compliment by making a visit... What a beautiful post to come in on first. That's what I love about blogging, the sharing of moments, the moment of a day which absolutely speaks to you, and therefore to us. Thankyou. Will visit again.
Livvy

Elsie Button said...

hi there, yes a lovely post. visiting your blog for first time and will definitely be back often. just showed it to my husband in fact - because you sound very similar (writer, worked in london, father to a daughter, always surrounded by mountains of books etc etc (he doesn't like gilbert o'sullivan though!). he found it interesting to read as he is first time dad. betty is such a daddy's girl. you see a completely different side to your partner when you have a baby, don't you. i have fallen even more in love with him! when i get some time i am looking forward to sititng down and reading through some of your old posts. elsie

Stay at home dad said...

Hi Elsie and thanks. I think you are suffering from post-natal bliss!