Thursday 8 March 2007

Close Shave

Obviously this whole blogging malarkey is an interactive opinion exchange sort of thing, and some of the feedback I’ve already had has been very useful. Yesterday’s advice on playdates in particular was extremely enlightening.

So the beard has gone. I’d been considering it for a while. I mean you don’t really want to be the guy with a beard do you? A short-lived fashion statement is one thing. John Virgo or Dave Lee Travis is something completely different. The other day I was in the bathroom standing in front of the mirror. Was I washing my face? I may have been putting on some moisturizer. Or perhaps I was just looking at something. Anyway, my daughter strolled in, as kids do. She looked at me for a moment, her expression denoting some interest, and asked eventually “Are you making yourself beautiful daddy?” I looked at the jumble of hair and the unruly beard in which flecks of grey had started to set up base camp. I felt somehow I was letting her down. So it’s gone and in its place is a light covering of stubble. I may go smooth, but it’s a big step all at once. Needless to say, when I presented my daughter with the new me she merely asked if there were any biscuits going.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for shaving your beard. I think men grow beards to cover themselves, and I always see bearded men as less than honest, with something to hide. So thank you.
And on the playdate front, it's even better if you can have the other parent pick up your daughter from school, and have her for a playdate. Then you don't have that uncomfortable few minutes of "chat" before you find the right moment to leaave. That's what I do!!

Stay at home dad said...

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Personally I just can't be bothered to shave. But after a certain point I felt people were looking at the beard rather then me.

It's all becoming clear on playdates now: it's a domestic jobshare.